Munich Christmas Markets


Okay, let me be honest with you for a second... I am OBSESSED with Christmas markets. I didn't even know much about them until I moved here and Y'ALL, they are incredible! Basically for the entire month of December that is pretty much all that we did. Christmas markets are so magical and really get you in the holiday spirit.



I actually made a spreadsheet of the majority of the Christmas markets in and around Munich so I could keep track of which ones we visited and how we liked each one. We ended up going to 10 different markets this year. We had to save some for next year :) Anyway, the cool thing is that each market has its own vibe and character. Each market sells food and hot drinks and also has tons of vendors selling different trinkets, ornaments, scarves, etc. I totally thought that I was going to buy a lot more than I did at the markets. I only walked away with a Santa decoration, three cookie cutters, and a small ornament. (You're welcome, Drew) My favorite part of the markets is everyone is just enjoying each other, talking, eating good food, and supporting local businesses. It's really the most magical time of the year in Germany.

I want to highlight some of our favorite markets that we went to here in Munich.

Our Top Favorite: Haidhausen Market. This market is just one stop away from us on the train or about a 20 minute walk. We visited this market about 4 different times because we loved it so much.

Why did we love it: Very local feel, the best food (in our opinion)





Our Second Favorite: The Medieval Market. This is the most unique out of all of them.

Why did we like it? Because it was really cool to see all the medieval stuff and the Käsekrainer (cheese filled sausage) was the best here!

This was the only picture I got of this market but the entire market looked like that tower and people were dressed up in Medieval clothes.

The foods at the markets were SO yummy. My favorite foods at the markets were Käsekrainers, Flammkuchen, and Kasespatzl. You could also find other types of food besides German foods at the markets like Chinese food and churros. Oh, and did I mention the desserts? Tons of chocolate covered fruit, almonds covered in powdered sugar and chocolate, crepes, and waffles!

Kasekrainer - my fave!!

Kasespatzl. This is the German version of mac and cheese. It has fried onions on top. It is seriously delicious! 

Flammkuchen. This is basically like pizza! 

Next Christmas we are hoping to travel outside of Munich to visit more Christmas Markets. The famous one is in Nuremberg but they are all over Germany and Austria. I would love to go to some of the smaller towns and see their markets. Here are some more pictures of other markets that we went to.

Rindermarkt. This was a tiny market close to the center of town but just had food and drinks! 

Chinese Tower Christmas Market. I really liked this market. It was big and had lots of stands selling a variety of items! 

Sendlinger Tor Market. Very small and local! 

The Pink Christmas Market. This was in the middle of a neighborhood and was another one of my favorites


I could write so much more about the markets because they were just so much fun. I can't wait until next Christmas season! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season and a Happy New Year! Drew and I went to Spain over the New Year and I am currently taking my second German course. More blog posts to come all about Spain :)

xo
Liz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Move

Sisters Take Malta!

Out and About