Portugal - Porto & Lisbon



 Towards the end of July we were able to travel to Portugal with our friends, Marissa and Tom. They both live here in Munich and have become great friends :) Marissa is from Utah and Tom is from the UK! Our first stop was to Porto which I had never been to. We had a blast during our four days in Porto!

The first night we got there we checked into our AirBnb and took in the stunning views from our porch (see below!) and then headed out for our first Portuguese dinner. We all got the very famous Porto dish: Francesinha- a sandwich made with 3-4 different types of meat, covered in melted cheese, topped with a tomato type sauce. You could also add a fried egg on top (I opted out of the egg LOL). The boys loved this dish but I really didn't prefer it. 




The next day we had a tour with my favorite tour company: We Hate Tourism Tours! During my study abroad days, I visited Lisbon and did a tour with them and completely loved it. I loved it so much I took my sister back that same year. I was super excited to do the Porto tour and then get to do the same Lisbon tour with Drew. Here is a look at our full day tour of Porto:



Luís I Bridge- This bridge was designed by Gustave Eiffel in the late 1800s. (Yes, the same guy who designed the Eiffel tower!)
Our awesome tour guide for the day!

On our second full day in Porto we walked around the city to see some highlights and have some more delicious food. Our final full day in Porto we spent doing a full day tour of the Douro Valley, this is the oldest wine region in the world. The views were just breathtaking and we even did a little cruise down the Douro river. For our lunch during the tour we ate a full, classic Portuguese lunch complete with chicken, rice, vegetable soup, potatoes, and dessert. It was wonderful and I completely forgot to take any pictures! 

I just love the blue and white tiles everywhere around the city!



Douro Valley!

After four nights in Porto we said goodbye to our friends and Drew and I hopped on a train to Lisbon. I was SO excited to go back to Lisbon but to be honest, I really loved Porto even more than Lisbon. Our first full day in Lisbon we did a We Hate Tourism tour and it was so much fun, especially since it was a private tour. It was really cool because we had the same tour guide that I had back in 2011. We even have pictures on Facebook to prove it :) Here are some photos from our tour of Lisbon and the surrounding areas:

With our tour guide, Marta!

Quinta da Regaleira (a palace) in Sintra




Cabo de Roca - the western most point in mainland Europe! One of my favorite spots in Portugal!



Belem Tower (built in the 14th century!)

Padrão dos Descobrimentos

After the tour we made our way to get the famous Pastel de Nata (an egg tart pastry). We ate SO many of these little pastries in Porto and Lisbon that we lost count. They are absolutely delicious! I'm thinking I need to learn how to bake these. After the pastries we went to the LX Factory which is a huge industrial complex with tons of fun stores and restaurants. 


A really cool Portuguese bookstore within the LX Factory!

On our last full day in Lisbon we rode the famous tram 28 around the city to see some more of the city without having to walk up and down the huge hills. It was a cool way to see the city and different viewpoints. We also went on the Santa Justa Lift. This is an elevator that was built in 1902 and has beautiful views of the city from the top. 


Santa Justa Lift





Portugal truly is a gorgeous country with so much to see and do! Do you want to visit Portugal one day? 


Comments

  1. I LOVED our Lisbon tour!!! Beautiful pics as always. Such an amazing country!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Move

Sisters Take Malta!

Out and About